Okay, I decided to bring out this old article about technology on Star Trek that has actually entered the world today.
- Transparent Aluminum is aluminum oxynitride (ALON)
- Communicators are cell phones
- Hypospray are Jet injectors which actually predated Star Trek
- Tractor Beams are in development as engineers are developing optical tweezers
- Phasers are (set to stun) like tasers
- Universal translator involves voice recognition which is real and its translation from voice is possible as conversions to language on the written page.
- Geordi's VISOR from Star Trek: The Next Generation is being worked on by scientists implanting wires into blind rats.
- Torpedo Coffins are available as coffins any rich person can jettison out into space if they so choose.
- Telepresence as really improving tele-conferencing has been tried by AT&T and Cisco. This serves as an improvement from the LCD monitors on Star Trek which we now have.
- Tri-corders are used by NASA as a LOCAD and medical devices and test equipment are becoming small enough to hold in the hand.
So, there are the top innovations from Star Trek. Okay, perhaps it will be a very long while before we figure out the Warp drive or the Transporter.