Since coming to Newsvine 5 months ago, I was impressed with the openness of the site. The reason was because of the diverse contributing members. I could see anyone could take part in writing and publishing anything that defines them. As I got to know everyone, I saw everyone has a particular identity that defines them. When I see a particular story, I can be sure to know who will be commenting. Or I am sure to know what kind of articles a person will write. Me, I am still looking for a particular identity; and, for some reason, it is turning out to be hard.
As I started with Newsvine, I took to politics with a presidential election coming up in November of last year. Then, I participated in the gun control debate in January. Now, I am getting rather tired of politics. Partly, because there are so many people participating in these stories. I am finding people who seem to be saying what I am thinking; so, I vote in agreement. Another story type that has gotten old with me are crime stories. I find I am responding the same basic way on every one of those stories that are seeded. So, I have decided to stop focusing on those type of stories-- at least on a constantly regular basis.
The stories, articles, and seeds that interest me are the ones that teach me something. I want to see the richness of my fellow man. But, how can I contribute? Can I just write a little article, such as this, and expect a meaningful contribution? Can I ask people what they want to see or read? And, how can I accomplish this? Perhaps, this is my identity as I write and just ask questions. Heck, someone may answer-- at least until I get focused on who I am here on Newsvine.
So, what is of interest to me now. Well, as I have rounded out my nations, I have settled on 14.
- The first two AG-Innovations and AG-Innovations-intellectual attract me because they seem to be nations where ideas can be discussed. So, far the change over on Newsvine is dominating these sites. But, soon science, engineering and philosophy seems to be open topics in these nations. As a student of science, these nations widen my eyes.
- Fired Up Democrats nation was the first group, now nation, I joined. It will remain my only political nation where I hope to see some heated discussions concerning our nation, the world and especially Democrats.
- Historical Vine always has articles that interest me. I am always appreciative of stories that deal with our heritage and explores how our ancestors dealt with life in the past. My particular interest is European history.
- One Newsvine person who has impressed me, especially in the Newsvine upgrade, is MJL-3. I thank MJL-3 for approving my membership to this Nation. I hope it is a Nation where humor, general discussions, and other non-political light topics can be posted. I would, however, like to move past topics about the old Newsvine.
- Newsvine Community was a nation similar to MJL-3's nation. This site has the added caveat that there cannot be seeds. I think the purpose is to serve as a site about what I am talking about now. Can this site be about Newsvine support? Any new person should start with this nation and be encouraged to write articles asking basic in-outs about Newsvine.
- Newsvine Photographers is a nation with many excellent photographers. I find myself voting up every photo article posted. I usually spend my time taking photos. I spent time going out all over. But, the price of gas has put a crimp on that. Is that a good excuse? All I can say is for people to stay tuned.
- Save Environment Save Wildlife nation is a nation dear to my heart. The environment is, in my opinion, about our survival. The fact that our Earth is getting more and more crowded every year by humans is serious to me. How are we going to adapt?
- Science and Technology nation matches up with the innovation nation well. As a student of science, I find myself always looking at how research is contributing to our society. I feel it is important to stay informed and keep an open mind.
- Successful Solutions, in my opinion, is a good place for those interested in talking about solving problems. This nation goes well with Save Environment nation because it is about how we can adapt to a changing planet. In particular, articles that interest me are about survival techniques.
- The First People nation, set up by Kavika, is important as we all need to not forget about the indigenous people. The title is appropriate as these people are displaced and have such insight we cannot ignore. The indigenous members of this nation have much to teach.
- I do write fiction and are working to develop some pieces I can post. I like the writers nation as a good place to try out my writing style. The other nation, Science Fiction, is about my genre. I just hope my stuff is cool enough for such cultured members. I never know unless I try.
- Now, my nation. I started Travel, history and geography nation about the appreciation of our planet-- especially about locations. The beauty of these nations need to be explored. As a motorcycle rider, my travels will be about adventure to learn about other people. I hope I can get many people to contribute.
There is a run-down of the Nations I joined plus mine. I hope one who looks in my column and wants to learn about me can get an abbreviated idea about me. It seems to me that now I can just grow as I try to participate. I will try to be as polite and gracious as possible. And, soon I hope to have a regular contribution which steams from a developed identity for JP Swoop. I hope I have a better reputation as someone who does not 'swoop' in to comment. I guess that can be corrected from my work in my nation, science and fiction writing.